Ok it is now one of the biggest problems in desktop systems. According to Dell and The Financial Express approx 90% of all [Desktop] computers are infected by spyware.
A new site GetNetWise gives some basic pointers on how to avoid and remove spyware.
My basic advice:
- Install a personal firewall that detects outgoing connections (ZoneAlarm, Norton Security, etc)
- Install and run a virus scanner – any one is fine
- Avoid using Internet Explorer and Outlook whereever possible
- Turn off all services you don’t require, sharing, IIS etc.
- Get and run a good spyware removal tool (Adaware, Spybot, etc) – DON’T get a spyware tool from an embedded webpage add! Most of these are fake and will install Spyware.